Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Ship Passenger Lists and Records 1800-late June 1948 and Dec. 1954-1962|
This page lists research material to help find Philadelphia, Pennsylvania passenger lists (arrival records) from 1800-1962 (with gaps), including online indexes and digitized records, and microfilmed indexes and records.
Philadelphia Passenger Lists Online
- Online Database: Philadelphia Passenger Lists Index and Images 1800-1962 (with gaps) requires payment - part of an Ancestry subscription
- Includes digitized images of the passenger lists from National Archives microfilm publications M425, T840, A3543, A3544, A4228 and A4229.
- For Philadelphia ship passenger lists this database includes coverage from 1800 to late June 1948.
- This database does not include Philadelphia ship passenger lists from July 1, 1948 to November 30, 1954. They have not survived. (See the "Note About Missing Records" below.)
- Also includes some airplane manifests for arrivals at Philadelphia and Pittsburgh for the later years (coverage varies; some years are not included).
- Online Records from FamilySearch:
A Note About Missing Records
- Alternate Resource from FamilySearch:
Special Inquiry Records, 1893-1909
- Philadelphia ship passenger lists from July 1, 1948-November 30, 1954 were destroyed by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) prior to being preserved on microfilm and no longer exist. [Source: Guide to Genealogical Research in the National Archives of the United States, 3rd ed. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2000, p. 79.] Ancestry's online Philadelphia passenger lists database (see the first link above) covers January 1, 1800-June 28, 1948 for ship passenger lists. Some of the later years in their database, beginning with June 28, 1944 (with gaps), are for airplane arrivals.
German Immigrants to Philadelphia in Germans to America
Philadelphia Passenger Lists and Indexes on Microfilm
- If you see the letter D or SI or BSI next to a passenger's name on the left side of a Philadelphia passenger list, it usually means that passenger was detained or held for a special inquiry. You may want to search for that person in this database: