Baltimore Passenger Lists Quick Guide 1820-1960s
by Joe Beine
Baltimore Passenger Lists Quick Guide 1820-1960s : Finding Baltimore Immigration Records|
This page lists research material for locating Baltimore, Maryland passenger arrival records from 1820 to the early 1960s. For the period from July 1, 1948 to November 30, 1954 the Baltimore ship passenger lists have not survived. However a microfilmed index exists for part of this time frame (1897 to July 1952). Some of the earlier lists (1820s to the 1840s) have also not survived, but there are some alternate sources available for some of that time period.
Baltimore Passenger Lists and Indexes Online
- Online Index and Images at Ancestry (fee-based):
- Baltimore Passenger Lists 1820-1964 (with gaps); requires payment - part of an Ancestry subscription.
- Includes digitized images of the ship passenger lists (1820-mid 1948 and late 1954-1957) from National Archives microfilm publications T844, M255, M596 and M1477.
- Also includes some airplane manifests for September 1942 to 1964.
- This database does not include Baltimore ship passenger lists from July 1, 1948 to November 30, 1954. They have not survived.
- Online Indexes and Images at FamilySearch (free with registration):
- Baltimore Passenger Lists, 1820-1948 (with gaps); free; includes records from National Archives microfilm publications M255 (Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Baltimore, 1820-1891); M596 (Quarterly Abstracts of Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Baltimore, 1820-1869); and T844 (Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Baltimore, 1891-1948). Coverage ends in late June, 1948.
Baltimore Passenger Lists and Indexes on Microfilm
The Missing Lists - How to Fill in the Gaps
German Immigrants to Baltimore in Germans to America