Baltimore Passenger Lists Quick Guide 1820-1960s : Finding Baltimore Immigration Records|
This page lists research material for locating Baltimore, Maryland passenger arrival records from 1820 to the early 1960s. For the period from July 1, 1948 to November 30, 1954 the Baltimore ship passenger lists have not survived. However a microfilmed index exists for part of this time frame (1897 to July 1952). Some of the earlier lists (1820s to the 1840s) have also not survived, but there are some alternate sources available for some of that time period.
Baltimore Passenger Lists and Indexes Online
- Online Index and Images at Ancestry (fee-based):
- Baltimore Passenger Lists 1820-1964 (with gaps); requires payment - part of an Ancestry subscription.
- Includes digitized images of the ship passenger lists (1820-mid 1948 and late 1954-1957) from National Archives microfilm publications T844, M255, M596 and M1477.
- Also includes some airplane manifests for September 1942 to 1964.
- This database does not include Baltimore ship passenger lists from July 1, 1948 to November 30, 1954. They have not survived. However, see the next section (FamilySearch) for an index to some of these missing lists (to July 1952).
- Online Indexes and Images at FamilySearch (free with registration):
- Baltimore Passenger Lists, 1820-1948 (may have some gaps); free; Coverage ends in late June, 1948.
- Includes records from National Archives microfilm publications M255 (Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Baltimore, 1820-1891); M596 (Quarterly Abstracts of Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Baltimore, 1820-1869); and T844 (Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Baltimore, 1891-1948).
- Baltimore ship passenger lists from July 1, 1948 to November 30, 1954 have not survived. However, these lists were indexed to July 1952 before they were destroyed. You can access this index from FamilySearch here:
- Baltimore, Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels and Airplanes, 1954-1957 from National Archives microfilm publication M1477; covers Dec. 1, 1954 to May 7, 1957.
The Missing Lists - How to Fill in the Gaps
German Immigrants to Baltimore in Germans to America
Baltimore Passenger Lists and Indexes on Microfilm