New York Passenger Lists Quick Guide 1820-1962 : Finding New York Immigration Records|
This webpage lists links to research material for locating New York, New York passenger arrival records from 1820-1962, including online databases and indexes. This time period includes immigrants who were processed at Castle Garden, the Barge Office and Ellis Island.
New York Passenger Lists and Indexes Online
- New York State, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1917-1967 to 1962 for NYC (fee-based - at Ancestry)
Includes passenger and crew arrival lists (and some departure lists) for vessels that were filed at various ports (such as Binghamton, Buffalo, NYC, Niagara Falls, Oswego, Rochester, Syracuse, and other ports) in the state of New York. Coverage varies by port.
- For New York City these two items are included:
- Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1/1958-late 1962. From National Archives (NARA) microfilm publication A4115.
- Passenger and Crew Manifests of Airplanes Arriving at New York, New York, 12/1/1957-late 1962. From NARA microfilm publication A3998.
Additional Online and Offline Finding Aids
- New York Passenger List Indexes and Resources, 1820-1897 lists some alternate resources to help find passenger arrivals in this time frame, including Germans to America, Italians to America, and more
- New York Book Indexes to Passenger Lists, 1906-1942 at FamilySearch; digitized from NARA Microfilm Publication T612. After searching for someone in this database, look at the image they are listed on, then scroll (click) back through the images until you get to the ship's "title page," which should give you the ship name and arrival date in NY.
- New York, Index to Passengers Arriving at New York City, Compiled 1944-1948 at FamilySearch; digitized from NARA Microfilm Publication M1417 (2 rolls are missing)
New York Ship Manifests Known to be Missing
- The New York immigration passenger lists from 1892-June 1897 were lost during the Ellis Island fire. However, the New York customs passenger lists from this same period have survived and are included in the Ancestry (1820-1957), FamilySearch (1892-1924), and Ellis Island databases listed above. See the Ellis Island link below for more information about the Ellis Island fire.
- Names of the cabin class passengers (first and second class) from June 1897 to early 1903 (with some exceptions) are missing. See the Ellis Island link below for more information.
- New York passenger manifests from the second quarter (April, May, and June) of 1820 are missing, except two manifests which survived. See the link in the "Missing Lists of 1820" section below for an alternate resource for the second quarter of 1820.
- There may also be other omissions and errors.
The Missing Lists of 1820 - How to Fill in the Gaps
New York Passenger Lists and Indexes: Microfilm Information