Philadelphia Passenger Lists Quick Guide
1800-1948 and 1957-1962
by Joe Beine
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Ship Passenger Lists and Records 1800-1948 and 1957-1962|
This page lists research material to help find Philadelphia, Pennsylvania passenger lists (arrival records) from 1800-1948 and 1957-1962, including online indexes and digitized records, microfilmed indexes and records, and books.
Philadelphia Passenger Lists Indexes
- Online Index: Philadelphia Passenger Lists Index and Images 1800-1962 (with gaps) requires payment - part of an Ancestry subscription
- Includes digitized images of the passenger lists from National Archives microfilm publications M425, T840, A3543, A3544, A4228 and A4229.
- For Philadelphia ship passenger lists this database includes coverage for 1800 to late June 1948.
- Also includes some airplane manifests for arrivals at Philadelphia and Pittsburgh for the later years (coverage varies).
Philadelphia Passenger Lists
German Immigrants to Philadelphia in Germans to America
Note About Missing Records
- Philadelphia ship passenger lists from July 1, 1948-November 30, 1954 were destroyed by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) prior to being preserved on microfilm and no longer exist. [Source: Guide to Genealogical Research in the National Archives of the United States, 3rd ed. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2000, p. 79.] Ancestry's online Philadelphia passenger lists database (see the first link above) covers January 1, 1800-June 28, 1948 for ship passenger lists. Some of the later years in their database, beginning with June 28, 1944 (with gaps), are for airplane arrivals.